Tuesday, July 04, 2006

one week ago today...

I was on my way back from the Kansas City airport. It is hard to believe that just over a week ago today I was leaving New Orleans. I happen to be watching the Mardi Gras edition of Cops It is kind of weird actually being in the places I was seeing on TV.

I just wanted to take a few moments to thank the city and citizens of New Orleans. You did great job making us feel welcome. I know that everything is not perfect. I know you are still rebuilding. But I would like to take a few moments and tell you, thank you. You made me feel welcome and happy to have us.

I stayed in a great hotel, Omni Royal Orleans. It was just beautiful. We got off the airport shuttle and the staff greeted us with such enthusiasm that it was unbelievable. They had lemonade and plenty of bellmen to grab our bags. They people checking us in were so efficient. It was unbelievable. Ever morning I was greeted by Marty, the doorman. If you have ever seen the commercial "fall in love with Louisiana all over again" that was my doorman.

I was worried about going to New Orleans, but not for the reasons you might think. I wasn't worried about the crime or the homeless. I wasn't worried about waiting for cabs or shuttles. I wasn't worried about the air quality or the hospitals. I was worried about one thing, it might seem silly to most people, but I was really worried. I had read a lot of books about New Orleans, I had seen movies, and TV shows about and filmed in New Orleans.

I was worried that the city wouldn't live up to my expectations. I was worried about going and being let down. I feared it would be like going and seeing your favorite book made into a movie. All those things you pictured in your mind and the feelings you got when you read the book, all dashed by some other person's ideas and budget.

After I got there, I realized that I worried for nothing. It was perfect, to me at least. I walked through the French Quarter in awe of the architecture. The statues, the gates the patios, and the shops, all were just as I had hoped. It was like walking through my memories. Jazz and air conditioning spilled out into the street. The smells of food and drink was everywhere. Ok so Bourbon Street was a bit of a let down, but honestly I wasn't that impressed by the idea of it anyway.

I can't wait to go back. I haven’t' been to Savannah (I have the same feelings of it like I did with New Orleans), but I think that New Orleans maybe the only place I want to visit every year. I would love to watch it rebuild and renew. New Orleans has an important part in history, not just American history, but international history. The people that live in New Orleans, and all the Gulf, are strong people. They will come back. They will make it better than it was before. I just hope I can help.

So my parting words for this evening are simple: Go, Go to New Orleans. Go and shop and eat and drink, and tell them a librarian sent ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home